Centre Rock is an abstract strategy game in which 2--4 players vie for control of The Rock. Each player commands a squad with striker (pikeman), two archers, and two melee units. Movement is hex based, and each unit type may attack a particular pattern of surrounding cells. Games take 45--90 minutes.
There are three files available to download for Centre Rock:
- Rules (790K)---Full details on how to play the game.
- Pieces (574K)---A full color board and pieces to print out and use if you don't want to make your own. Requires some cutting and gluing to assemble.
- Example (3M)---An extended gameplay example to help if the rules aren't quite clear.
Note that the piece pack contains a pattern to make an optional Centre Rock specific die. Although it looks cool, fairness and probability recommends the use of a normal D6 as described in the rules.Assembly Instructions
Detailed instructions and pictures are available here, but these are the basic steps:
- Download the piece packet PDF (790 kilobytes). If you don't have it already, get Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download, to read and print the file.
- Print out the packet, turning off page scaling.
- Carefully cut out each board segment and block of pieces.
- Mount the board segments on thick stock such as foam core board and carefully cut out.
- Affix the blocks of pieces to thick card or poster stock and carefully cut out the individual pieces.
- If you wish to use the Centre Rock die rather than a regular D6, mount the pattern to poster board or some other thick stock, cut it out, score along each internal edge, and glue together.
- Find some friends and have at it.
Click on these or the photo above for high-res versions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
In short terms, Centre Rock is free for unlimited, personal, non-commercial use. That means the rules themselves, written instructions, artwork, etc. If you're interested in producing Centre Rock on a larger scale, get in touch!
- Design, Art, and Rules: Joe Kopena
- Design Support: Don Corcoran, Daryl Falco, Lovell Harmon, Eric Pancoast
- Playtesting: Lorenzo Harmon, Jeremy LaCivita, PAGE, Faraz Samadi, and many others